Thursday, December 16, 2010

Group for expats and neighbors in Vientiane

After having good experience with the an Phu Neighbors group in Saigon I founded Phu My Hung Neighbors (a Saigon suburban area where I lived for 2 years), and after moving to Vientiane I think something like this is missing here. A group for private sales, expat questions, local events, information about schools etc. Yes, there is WIG, but you have to be a member and they have their special cause. I wanted to have something
more open. Everyone can join. However, the webmaster (me) has he right to ban people or set the status to moderated, if the abuse the list. This is usually the case with aggressive real estate ads or commercial sales. So let's be just nice and have fun together.

JOIN THE GROUP: http://groups.google.com/group/vientianeneighbors

4 comments:

  1. My husband and I are now retired about a year ago to this day . I am a Laotian myself , living in California since the fall of Laos back in 1975. I have decided to go back to live in my country as it is lot cheaper to live than being in the United States . Since I have left my country forty three yrs ago , I don' t know much about my own country, and how things are being operated or done , such as how to buy real estates, buying a car to get around which I understand is very important as it is for here in the U. S . My question is , how can I be able to buy a land there to so I could build a house later on, down the line , and how can I ship my two cars from the U. S. to Laos . Please be kind enough to educate me , and thank you for your great devotion and time in telling me all about it .

    Sincerely ,

    DARA Koster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can only buy land if you are a Lao citizen. for the car, dont import it. its painful and you have to pay a lot of tax (usually tax is the current value of the car estimated by Lao customs) a friend from US waited more than 6 months and paid hell lot of money.

      Delete
  2. Thomas i am living in siem reap, but used to make thai embassy runs to Vientiane for many years, in Cambodia i get 1 yr visa`s, can i get similar in Laos? Thanks Mark,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, in Laos you can get only a 1 year visa if you have a work permit.

      Delete